And that's not the worst of it. You have the daily showing appointments which can come any time* (especially on weekdays). So every morning, the entire house must be in "fighting form" i.e.
- all beds made well enough to make a drill master happy
- all towels hidden away in closets
- all counter tops, sinks and showers wiped clean of water with microfiber cloth
- all microfiber clothes stowed away where a potential rental won't see them
- dining table set even though we rarely eat there
- all TV remotes stowed away
- all lights left on and interior doors left open
- programmable thermostat set at 75 all day long (see if you can find the irony in that)
- no cooking or frying at least 4 hours before an appointment
This brings me to the title of this post. Sunday evening, just at about the time me and Lara would be looking at each other for the answer to the eternal question ("what are we gonna feed these kids for dinner?"), we got a text message from our listing agent. She wants to show the house from 7-8pm. Tonight. So we got the dressed in the jammies and headed off to Chick-fil-a (yeah I know). As I made the turn out of our street, Lara said "oh, Chick-fil-a doesn't open on Sundays!". So that's how my kids ended up eating Sunday dinner at Burger King for the first time. As you can see from these pics, they really hated it!
If there's 1 silver lining to all this, it's knowing that my kids can live without toys. Ordinarily, they have less toys than kids their age but with this impending move, all their toys have been boxed up for about a couple of weeks now. I told them the shape bandit took their toys. After a few seconds of quizzical looks, one of them said "you have to tell the shape bandit's mom"!
*I realize one doesn't have to accept every appointment